Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday was FULL!

























Rosa fed us chicken tortellini soup last night, which was perfect because a couple of our girls are a little under the weather and chicken soup always helps; I think they should sleep more, but I'm sounding a bit "mother-ish," so I'm knocking it off... Rosa also sliced gorgeous tomatoes with mozzarella cheese and basil (we're in Tuscany, after all) and we had bread and fruit. This was after she cooked pasta, pork loin, green peas, and salad for lunch. Oh - flan was for dessert. Good grief. Dessert??!?!?! It's way too good. I wish I didn't like sweets, but that's a different subject...




This morning, the student-athletes had workouts (first 3 pics) and then came back to Avanti for another wonderful meal - our favorite pasta was recommended, so Rosa make it again for our "primi" - Italians eat pasta with nearly every meal for the first course! Wow. It's called 7 P pasta - it has 7 ingredients and each one begins with a P. I'm going to try it when we get back home; it won't the be same, I'm certain, BUT it'll be fun, and I'll give a shout out to the pasta fans to come over to eat...that is when I get up enough courage to try to imitate Rosa's recipe! We had other stuff, too, but the pasta took the cake (chocolate cake was for dessert - I stayed away).




Afterwards we headed into Firenze to meet our tour guide Veronica for a walk through the Uffizi gallery. Oh, goodness! At the risk of sounding extremely nerdy, I get chill bumps just thinking about all the master's works we saw today! Botticelli, Leonardo, Michelangelo, etc. Comparing the Medieval art to the Renaissance art was interesting and fun (I hope for ALL). I thought that our guide wasn't too long, wasn't too short; I know that it's healthy and smart to expand our knowledge, so I was pleased with the students' respect and courtesy shown to the tour guide. She truly did a great job. A couple of students even asked questions. We're fortunate to be able to listen to people from whom we can learn instead of trying to figure out everything by ourselves! The last picture posted is a group photo on a balcony at the Uffizi. I'm trying not to be too annoying about the group photos, but we're heading to Pisa and Cinque Terre tomorrow, so they'd better get ready for some more! At least I warned them at the beginning of the trip about my "feeling a group photo!" They've been sweetly and politely humoring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment